Subtitle

I was recently described as having "spunk and fight." These adjectives were used to describe both strength and weakness in my life. This blog is a story that is being written about how I have left physical and emotional baggage and I am heading forward, packing a little lighter, setting goals, reaching some, falling short at others, but always growing everyday. Won't you join me?

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Liz Always Wins.

Today was a Liz session day. The scale was being used (for an insanely long period of time) so we did not weigh in. The locker room scale reports me down one pound, but I do not count that as official.

Liz decided today would be upper body and core. I actually really liked it! I may break my workouts into upper and lower body vs. legs, chest & arms and back & shoulders.

Here was the lifting (supersets grouped together):

TG Pull Downs: 30/20, 35/20, 40/12
SA Low Row: 35/15, 45/15, 55/15
SLR w/ Hip Lift: BW/12, BW/12, BW/12

Hammer Shoulder Press: 30/15, 35/15, 40/15
BB Press-Ups: 35/15, 35/15, 35/12
Suitcases: 10/12, 10/12, 10/12

Hammer Decline Press: 20/15, 25/15, 30/15
FM Fly: 25/15, 30/15, 30/15
Toe Touches: 10/20, 10/20, 10/20


It went back, then shoulders, then chest--each superset ending with a core exercise. I'll explain the core exercises since they aren't always easy to tell what they are based on their names (e.g. suitcases).

SLR w/ Hip Lift: You lay flat. Then, keeping your legs extending out straight, you raise them so that they are perpendicular to the ground. At that point you pause (the reason for this is simple--Liz wanted me to lose any momentum I might have had from raising my legs to make my core hurt more). You finish by using your core to lift your butt off of the ground slightly, then lower your legs back down in a controlled fashion. To do this properly (read: make it hurt right) you do not touch the ground in between reps.

Suitcases: You lay flat holding a core ball above your head with your arms extended out straight. Simultaneously, you crunch up and bring one leg in to your chest so that when you are mid-rep, the core ball is extended in front of you an your knee cap is in the circle your arms are making. You reverse the motion and repeat with the other leg. That is one rep. I am not sure I am describing this well--it's not as complicated as I make it sound.

Toe Touches: You lay on your back with your legs raised in the air so they are perndicular to the ground. You hold a core ball vertical as well with your arms fully extended. You then crunch your stomach to touch the ball to your toes (or do the best you can). Fun. Times.


I felt like Liz and I were laughing a lot this session. In a good way. We talked a lot about Amanda F.'s upcoming wedding (on Saturday!) and my Beefy Guy escapades from this week. There was much giggling between sets and during--which makes the workouts all the more fun!

At one point during the cable flys, I was struggling a little bit and Liz said to do one more but I am a better counter than her and I was done the 15 rep set. The conversation went like this:

Liz: One more.
Me: THAT WAS 15!
Liz: DO ONE MORE.
Me: 15! IT WAS 15!
Liz: Shut up! I'm the trainer! DO. ONE. MORE!
*the sound of laughter from several other trainers in the vicinity*
*the sound of Erin doing a 16th rep*


Liz always wins.

One final funny story. Anthony was working with a client on the cable rows while we were on the Hammer Shoulder Presses right next door in Man-Land. Anthony says, "Liz, what do you think of when you hear the word: Panera?" I answered (naturally he was talking to me too): "Nothing good for you! But SUPER tasty!" Liz agreed. His poor client kept trying to make it okay. He was all: "What if I bring my own salad dressing?" My response: "Unless all you are eating is lettuce with that dressing--not good." Anthony thought it was hilarious that I was on their side. I don't believe his client saw it that way. I'm such a jerk. :) Liz did make the good point that you can do much worse eating out, but it isn't good for you.

I won't be working out tomorrow as I am working working working then rehearsal dinnering!!!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the interaction b/t you and Liz. It's strikingly similar to the conversations I have with my students - but in my *head*, not in the classroom. ;)

    ReplyDelete