Subtitle

I was recently described as having "spunk and fight." These adjectives were used to describe both strength and weakness in my life. This blog is a story that is being written about how I have left physical and emotional baggage and I am heading forward, packing a little lighter, setting goals, reaching some, falling short at others, but always growing everyday. Won't you join me?

Thursday, June 9, 2011

I Will Do ANYTHING ANYONE Tells Me To...

Not sure this is a good thing, but hey--it's working for me so far. :)

Today I had a Hard Core Liz session. As an aside, every session I am more and more glad that I switched. She is just very different than Devon. They are both very knowledgeable, but just...different. Hard to explain why exactly. Maybe because she is tough and no nonsense, but also funny and seems to really care if I do well. She can email me: "Now get your a$s back on the wagon" one day and then write on the top of my workout:

Goals: 20% body fat, routine, be strong & empowered, have "good arms". ***What are you doing each day to work towards these goals?***


the next. Nice touch, Liz. I like it.

I had not worked out since my swim last week (due to traveling and such), so I knew today would be tough. It was a standard Liz workout--challenging, but not impossible. Here it is:

DB Squats: 20 lb DBs/20 reps, 20/20, 20/20
Lunges: Body Weight/20 reps, BW/20, BW/20
Burpees w/ Stand: 10 lb DBs/10 reps, 10/10, 10/10

V-Grip Pulldowns: 50 lbs/20 reps, 60/15, 65/12, 65/12
Push-Ups: Body Weight/10 reps, BW/10, BW/10, BW/12
Pop-Ups: Body Weight/15 reps, BW/15, BW/15, BW/15

SL Leg Press (Glute-focused): 140 lbs/15 reps, 140/15, 180/15
DB Shoulder Press: 15 lb DBs/20 reps, 20/15, 20/15
Split Jumps: Body Weight/16 reps, BW/16, BW/16


And I am still standing!!! :) Also, during rest periods I decided to tell Liz the things I think about the other regulars in the gym to include: Gym Jerkface who used to yell at me for inane reasons, the guy who walks around like he's a jerk (Liz agrees--he is apparently one of the 'arms brothers', two guys who work arms all the time and walk around the gym like they are AWESOME!) and the "gym kingpin"--this jacked guy who I swear is the mayor of Man-Land. In my head, men stop using weight machines when he walks up to use them. Liz just laughed at me. Appropriately.

Then I told her about the guy that I like to smile at but we rarely speak. I had told Devon about him and he suggested I have conversation with him "with intention." Like I know how to do that, Devon... I was going to...I really was...but then I saw him talking to a pretty girl. For like two hours. (I may be exaggerating. But it was over 30 minutes for sure.) And I decided that he's not too shy to talk to me, he doesn't want to. So, no Devon, I will not start a conversation 'with intention' with him. I told Liz all of this. She rolled her eyes (a common occurence during our conversations--it's in a nice way, I assure you) and brought up the possibility that maybe *she* initiated the conversation with him. Hmm. Possible. But I don't care. I reminded Liz that I have been single since I was 17 for a reason. :) She told me to go put the dumbbells away and say hello to him and ask him how we was doing. I really do WHATEVER I am told to. So I did. :) We had a nice small chat about Liz kicking my butt and how he was kicking his own butt because he went away for the weekend and overindulged. Nice.

As we were leaving our session, we passed Devon. I said hello and told him I missed him (as I do every time I see him) and he pointed over to the guy and smiled. So subtle, Devon. The only hope I have is that the guy wasn't looking in the mirror while Devon did that (as we were behind him). Maybe he was looking at his big, beefy muscles. If I had muscles like his, I know that I would do that ALL the time. :)

As I was stretching, Devon walked by and I told him I was mortified!!! He told me I wear mortification well. Why, thank you, Devon... :)

Next workout tomorrow: probably swimming outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment