Subtitle

I was recently described as having "spunk and fight." These adjectives were used to describe both strength and weakness in my life. This blog is a story that is being written about how I have left physical and emotional baggage and I am heading forward, packing a little lighter, setting goals, reaching some, falling short at others, but always growing everyday. Won't you join me?

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Homemade Protein Bars

I made protein bars today from scratch! This makes me feel like I have entered a whole new level--like I have graduated from "health and fitness junkie" to "health nut," except the only problem is that I haven't really. I am not a health nut. But I *do* make homemade protein bars. :)

The recipe (passed to me from Hard Core Liz):

No Bake Protein Bars

Ingredients:

1/4 c. natural peanut butter or natural almond butter
1/2 c. water
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. rolled oats or quick oats (uncooked)
6 scoops chocolate or vanilla protein powder (it should be whey isolate--no added junk)
2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
1 c. skim milk powder
1/2 c. dried cranberries
Stevia (optional, if your protein powder is not sweet)

Directions: Spray an 8 inch square pan with non-stick spray. In bowl, whisk together nut butter, water and vanilla. Add remaining ingredients. Spread into pan and freeze for one hour or refrigerate overnight, until bars can be cut. Wrap individually.

Makes: 10
Calories: 180 | Fat: 4.5g | Protein: 19g | Carbs: 16g


I had to modify the recipe slightly. Allow me to explain. Liz suggested that the whey protein form the LifeCafe was a good one for the recipe--although I suspect she has never used it herself. Also protein powders have their own size scoops. I believe that the Lifetime Whey scoop is ginormous compared to others. When it was all mixed together it was very dry. To remedy this I added another 1/4 c. of water. The consistency *seems* fine to me. I will ask Liz for actual scoop size of hers and modify next time--or I may just keep it this way if I like it enough. :)

Also, I chose to use wax paper to line the pan rather than spray with non-stick spray. The idea of using non-stick spray and *not* baking it grosses me out for some irrational reason. :) And I did not use Stevia--because I am sweet enough. ;)

For your benefit (and your benefit alone) I photo-documented various stages of the process.

Here is the goop spread in the pan. I started spreading it with a combination spatula and butter knife (it's sticky stuff!) but quickly moved to the rice-krispie-treat-method of using my hands--MUCH more successful...and messy!:

From Carry-On With Life


Here is the lot of them cut up and individually wrapped (I cut them 5 x 2). I am not so good at cutting them evenly--maybe I will get better in time...:

From Carry-On With Life


Here is one, in case you wanted a closer look:

From Carry-On With Life


Yum.

2 comments:

  1. These look good. I'm trying not to use things like protein powder, but I have a couple of recipes for bars to try out soon. I'm glad you like them. It should save you money to make your own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any particular reason you are avoiding protein powder?

    ReplyDelete