Subtitle

I was recently described as having "spunk and fight." These adjectives were used to describe both strength and weakness in my life. This blog is a story that is being written about how I have left physical and emotional baggage and I am heading forward, packing a little lighter, setting goals, reaching some, falling short at others, but always growing everyday. Won't you join me?

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Legs!

Today I had a session with Liz. She asked me ahead of time if I wanted to focus on the lower body or do a fully body workout. I told her to surprise me. She chose lower body. Much to my delight, I am not in sever pain. I definitely feel like I worked them hard. And I was very challenged through the session. And I am intimately aware of DOMS and am fully expect it to come in the morning. BUT! I can walk fine tonight. Let's celebrate the small things shall we. :)

Note on the lifting below: the exercises were done in sets of three. That means I did all three exercises and then rested. No rests in between. In Liz's mind this means no wiping your face with a sweat towel even if sweat is dripping from forehead to chin in several different streams until after the third exercise. I did each set of three, three times. Follow that? Good. :)

Here's what we did (and by "we" I mean "me"):

Walking Lunges: 3 sets, 25 reps, 17.5 lb DBs
Burpee with Stand: 3 sets, 10 reps, 17.5 lb DBs
Reverse Crunches: 3 sets, 15 reps, BW

Hack Squats (knees/feet together): 3 sets, 20 reps, 90lbs, 140 lbs, 180 lbs
Split Jumps: 3 sets, 8 reps each leg, BW
Sit-Ups: 3 sets, 12 reps, BW

Sumo Power Squats: 3 sets, 20 reps, 90 lbs, 140 lbs, 180 lbs
Box Jump: 3 sets, 10 reps, BW
Seated Twists: 3 sets, 15 reps, 10 lbs


Mildly funny story: So, this workout exhausted me! Not to the point I couldn't do it, but I was slightly winded for the duration of the session. 'Slightly winded' doesn't sound too bad, but when it is constant and you are lifting, it's rough. Liz told me to do Box Jumps. This is when you leap--both feet at once--from the ground onto a box. She used the same box from last week's box squats. You all read about how incredibly low those box squats were and how they destroyed me. I mean, it's only like a foot tall. But I looked at that box, I evaluated my level of fatigue and then I was gripped with fear. I was convinced that I would attempt to jump that high and crash into it...or fall off of it...? Not sure. Just didn't think it would end pretty or pain-free. She talked me into trying and it was fine. Challenging, but fine. At one point, the fear came back and I panicked, which resulted in a false start. Liz thought it was hilarious. Perhaps you do too...

Another mildly funny story: I went to refill my water bottle during a break. Since I pay by the hour I tried to rush across the gym to the water fountain and back. I must have been heading full speed toward it because this man saw me coming and stepped out of the way. I smiled and thanked him and asked if I looked like I *really* needed the water. He laughed and said I looked fine. Then said I looked really good. Then it was awkward and I walked away--with a full water bottle. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment