Subtitle

I was recently described as having "spunk and fight." These adjectives were used to describe both strength and weakness in my life. This blog is a story that is being written about how I have left physical and emotional baggage and I am heading forward, packing a little lighter, setting goals, reaching some, falling short at others, but always growing everyday. Won't you join me?

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Gradual Build "Fun"

Today was a cardio day. Since I ran on Monday, I decided to do the gradual build today. I think I am going to try to do the following regularly:

Monday: Gradual Build
Tuesday: Lift (either by myself or with Liz -- every other week)
Wednesday: Step-Mill
Thursday: Lift
Friday: Run
Saturday or Sunday: Lift


I plan on breaking my lifting in three body regions: lower body (hamstrings, quadriceps, glutes and abdominals), back/shoulders (lats, rear delts/rhomboids, obliques, delts, posterior delts, anterior delts, traps and medial delts) and chest/arms (chest, biceps, triceps). Also, I may move my cardio around if my friends want to start up running weekly again (hint, hint: Meagan and Amy).

So back to today. I did the gradual build workout which is 40 minutes on the treadmill. You start at a 2.0% incline and increase the incline every 5 minutes until you finish the 14.0% interval and then you drop it to 9.0% for the last 5 minutes. I was doing it at 3.5 mph the whole time but am doing 3.0 mph to ease back into it and my stamina rebuilds. I added a three minute cool down today. Here are my stats:

Time: 43:00
Calories Burned: 412
Distance: 2.09 miles


To take a step back, the point of gradual build is to increase your body's efficiency to burn fat at a lower heart rate. Supposedly, doing this regularly will make it easier for you to burn fat. Sounds like a good plan to me!

After I worked out, I went to the seamstress to drop off my dress for Amanda F.'s wedding! She tells me it's 2 sizes too big and it only needs to be taken in on the sides due to the style. Only $20! WIN! I liked trying the dress on better when she was pulling it tight in the right places. Made me feel pretty. :) Excited for the big day!!!!

1 comment: