Subtitle

I was recently described as having "spunk and fight." These adjectives were used to describe both strength and weakness in my life. This blog is a story that is being written about how I have left physical and emotional baggage and I am heading forward, packing a little lighter, setting goals, reaching some, falling short at others, but always growing everyday. Won't you join me?

Saturday, July 30, 2011

I Conquered Centennial Lake!

First, I actually had to type my password in to blogger. This means that it has been FAR too long since I've posted. Sorry! I have been crazy-busy. I've done some cardio, some lifting and had a Liz session and you all know nothing of it. :( My apologies. But now for the exciting part!

Today was the practice swim/dress rehearsal for the IronGirl Triathlon! As some of you may remember, I am relaying the event and taking the swim leg. This entails swimming 0.62 miles in Centennial Lake. For those non-Marylanders, Centennial Lake is...it's...um...think nastiness. Think a pond of stagnant nastiness. One year they almost canceled the event because E Coli levels were too high. And I signed up to swim in it. You know me. I have no germ issues... ::sarcasm::

I don't even remember when I signed up but it was some point last fall or winter. I give 100% of the blame/responsibility to Amanda F. Amanda is amazing and did the IronGirl some years ago and relayed it last year. She suggested we both relay this year and both do the swim portion. Because I do almost anything anyone tells me to, I signed up. Then instantly regretted it. Amanda may or may not know this, but her name has been cursed repeatedly from my lips many, many times since I registered. Every time I pictured getting into that water (can we call it water?) my stomach turned a bit.

When I found out there was a dress rehearsal, this did not instantly make me feel better (as it does for some), but my first thought was: "I have to get in that water TWO times!?!?" And my dread for August 21st became my dread for July 29th. The date on my calendar laughed at me each time I scanned July. Oh man, was I worried.

So, this week when I checked with Amanda to see if she wanted to carpool she gave me the terrible news that her tri relay team has completely bailed on her and she can no longer participate!!! Despite me offering her MY spot several times, I was now in this alone. She graciously offered to get up insanely early this morning and swim with me anyways. Did I mention she's amazing? We set off at 6 am and that was that.

While registering today, Amanda found another relay team in need of a swimmer, so she is back in the game! I'm glad she came to support me so she could meet the right people! Then we waited for our wave. I felt the same way as I felt during my first half marathon (that I did not train for and sign up for 6 days prior to run with the lovely Julie VLF!). My thought process in the starting corral, waiting for the gun to fire, was: "It's happening. I can embrace it or not. But it's happening either way." So far, quitting has not been an option for me. I felt the same way about this. It's on. I should embrace it.

We walked down to the water and I got in. Some people panic the first time they swim in open water. There are different reasons given like being so far from anything to hold on to or not being able to see in the murky water, but for whatever reason, panic is common. I am not above these things, so I was curious to see how I'd do. Amanda offered to swim alongside me the entire way and I took her up on it. We set off and I was fine. The water? Not so bad. The smell and feel instantly brought me back to swimming in the lake at my cottage as a kid and I got all happy. Amanda kept saying encouraging things and before we knew it, we were done! I didn't struggle at all--physically or mentally!

I swam 0.62 miles in nasty Centennial Lake and I did it with nearly 20 minutes to spare for the cutoff. I feel great! I feel great for race day (August 21st!). I feel like I won't let my triathlon relay team down. I feel like I can check another box of fun fitness things I've done!!!

Oh, and I no longer curse Amanda's name. I think very nice things about her for getting me to stretch a little beyond comfortable and feel this great when I succeed!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment