Subtitle

I was recently described as having "spunk and fight." These adjectives were used to describe both strength and weakness in my life. This blog is a story that is being written about how I have left physical and emotional baggage and I am heading forward, packing a little lighter, setting goals, reaching some, falling short at others, but always growing everyday. Won't you join me?

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

What Happened to Solidarity???

I've been sick for sooooooooo looooooooooooooooooong! Ok. Like a week, but still... I was really apprehensive about going back to the gym in general. I hate not working out for a week at a time and also, breathing tends to make me cough, so...seems like it could be a bad idea. But! I do have to ease back in.

I had a session scheduled with Liz for yesterday but canceled it on Sunday due to the death-like state I was in. She had no openings later in the week as she is having shoulder surgery Friday (at noon for those who would like to send thoughts and prayers her way!) and so squeezed all her clients into evenings this week. Yesterday, she emailed me that she had a 6pm opening today. I deferred to her on whether or not I should take it. I had already decided I'd go back to the gym today--the question was whether or not it was worth her time and my money to have it be with her. She felt it would be. I nervously took her advice.

Well, it was a great decision! I feel like she pushed me and the session was NOT pansy, but I also never felt like she was not respecting my current physical state. As Devon used to say (or was it Zak???), a good workout is challenging, but doable. Well done, Liz! I love my trainer!!!

Today's session we did a bunch of exercises all in a row, then rested. Yup, one large superset. Yup, it is as sucktastic as it sounds--in a good, workout way. ;) Specifically, we did all of these:

Assisted Pull-Ups: 105/15, 105/12, 105/15
Deep Squats: BW/25, BW/25, BW/25
Seated Row: 40/15, 50/15, 60/12
Lunges (double pump): BW/15, BW/15, BW/15 *only single pump last set
Push-Ups: BW/15, BW/15 (only 2 sets)
DB Sumo Squats: 30/15, 30/20, 30/20
DB Upright Row: 15/20, 20/15, 20/15
DB Deadlifts: 30/12, 30/10 (only 2 sets)
Reverse Crunches: BW/15, BW/15, BW/15
Alt. Toe Touches: BW/15, BW/15, BW/15


So, I went down the list, then rested. Then went down the second set of each, rested and then the third.

I'm very honest in my sessions with Liz. You'd think she appreciates this fact--maybe she does, who knows?--but she usually just tells me to do it right. An example, during the first set of double pump lunges, I found the second half of the set to be rough, so I started standing for a second between lunges. On the second set she told me to try not to do that. She said if I need to, I can tap my foot for balance, but don't stand. I frankly told her that I don't stand for balance, I stand for the brief rest period I get. :) She informed me that she already knew that. I should get points for not making excuses...just sayin'...

During the second set of toe touches, I must have been giving Liz some lip. To be completely honest, I have no idea what I said. My money is on something like: "I *AM* holding my legs straight up. THAT'S AS STRAIGHT AS THEY GO!!! " But who can be certain? :) Two different men were drawn into our conversation. The man directly next to me on the incline press machine just laughed at me. I am pretty sure I grunted something about not liking him. Then, the man on the OTHER side of me on the lat pulldowns, told Liz she should make me do twenty more for giving her lip. GASP! Fellow gym patron, we are in this *TOGETHER*. What happened to solidarity?!!?!?!? He thought he was soooooo funny. I told him. In as clear a voice as I could muster (while still doing the toe touches) that I was not afraid of him (and his very big and scary muscles) and that I would glare at him for a good long time. He was not scared. Fool.

All in all, my session was great! The whole body then rest thing was a fun new way to lift. Also, I am pleased with my stamina given my recent sickness. OH! And I lost oodles of weight by being too sick to eat. I was thrilled. Liz yelled at me for all my birthday cake eatage and told me not to be proud of myself for losing weight from being sick. Irregardless (::wink at Pete R.::), I'm proud. ;)

Next workout: something tomorrow. Probably of the cardio variety. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment