Subtitle

I was recently described as having "spunk and fight." These adjectives were used to describe both strength and weakness in my life. This blog is a story that is being written about how I have left physical and emotional baggage and I am heading forward, packing a little lighter, setting goals, reaching some, falling short at others, but always growing everyday. Won't you join me?

Thursday, August 25, 2011

I Love My Liz Sessions. So Much.

I really love sessions with Liz. I know--it sounds like I have a girl crush, but I don't care. I love 'em! I'm pushed hard physically. I laugh so much. I have someone to talk to who seems to understand where I am coming from and can relate to so much. Enough gushing. For now. :)

The lifting (all supersets):

Pull-downs: 50/15, 60/15, 70/12
Seated Row: 50/15, 60/15, 60/15
Burpees: BW/10, BW/10, BW/10

BB Deadlifts: 60/15, 75/15, 75/12
DB Lunges: 25/12, 25/12, 25/12
Pop-Ups: BW/15, BW/15, BW/15

TG Shoulder Press: 35/15, 40/15, 55/12
Push-Ups (MB): BW/10, BW/16, BW/12
Alt. Suitcases: 6/12 ea, 6/10 ea, 6/12 ea


Exercise details first, funny stories second.

TG Shoulder Press is the TechnoGym machine. It is bi-lateral so it is closer to a dumbbell press then the regular ones. The 55 was rough, but I powered through and Liz wrote "good push!" on my paper, with a smiley face. I love little notes like that. :)

Push-Ups (MB) is when you have a medicine ball and you do a push-up with ONE hand on the ball, then roll the ball to the other hand and do another push-up. Yes, it does suck that bad. No, I am not coordinated enough to do it gracefully. Yes, I am sure it is super fun to watch. It actually wasn;t too bad, but Liz kept reminding me to "reset my butt" after each ball roll because I would raise it up for balance. They just took a long time. And hurt. :)

Alt. Suitcases. Core work-out that hurts. Liz kept correcting my form. Each time adding something else to do! I am NOT a good multi-tasker. Everyone knows this. First she says to bring the ball to my foot as I bring my foot in. Done. Then she says to sit up more and bring my legs back less. Okay. Then she says to not bend my knee out while bringing my leg back. I do that. But sit up less. I can only do so much, Liz! On set two she wrote down "better form" and on set 3 she wrote "good!" I must have gotten better at it...somehow...

Ok. Story time.

Liz and I both could not focus for the first half of our workout because there is a new guy at the gym who looks (and walks around with the same smug attitude) as Captain America--but like 10 years younger! It was uncanny the resemblance! He wore similar style workout clothes. His hair is weird and helmet-like. He has the same weight-lifter belt and lame arm-bands. I almost pulled out my phone to take a photo but just didn't think I could do it discreetly. We both wished Amanda F. was there to witness this as well.

I hated the lunges. For some reason the 25 lb dumbbells felt SO heavy (I know, I am so incredibly out of shape). I was lunging like a lazy person. Fast. My form was horrible. Liz was telling me to go slower and deeper but I waited until the turn around point, set my dumbbells down, smiled and asked her if she had any constructive feedback as I cannot hear her when I am in pain. She rolled her eyes and told me to sow down and bring me back knee down further. I then said to her, "Liz, I'm gonna be honest with you. I know my form isn't good. I just hate those dumbbells so much. I want it to be over faster." She responded that I should take out my anger on the dumbbells by doing perfect form lunges. I started to mock her for that suggestion and loudly said (while lunging in great form), "I am SO angry with these dumbbells. I will SHOW THEM by lunging perfectly" and laughing. It may have only been one set of good ones, but Liz got it out of me. Well done, Liz...

I was pretty tired and out of the zone today but had a good workout despite. At one point I reminded Liz that I was tired and she said, "I'm your trainer. You pay me to make you do things that you wouldn't push yourself to do on your own." True that. That's why she gets the big bucks...

Also, I finally sent her my revised goals. Well, the first draft. I think it will be more of a discussion before I pin them down. More to come later. :)

1 comment:

  1. You know you can't tease your fans this way: We're going to need to see some photographic evidence of Captain America. If anyone can figure out a way to stage capturing this data, you can. :]

    Make it so...

    ReplyDelete